[Syrupmakers] gelled sugarcane juice?

chris jude vegbenz300 at gmail.com
Mon Nov 17 09:54:15 CST 2014

Thanks,

I'm with Fair Game Beverage in Pittsboro, NC.  We do rum, sorghum cane
spirit and apple brandy.  I've been making sorghum syrup for years, but
this was my first try fermenting fresh sugarcane juice.  I did dose it with
some Amylase, and heated up about 1/3 of it to 150 degrees, which helped
get it fermenting and thinned it a little, but the whole juice was still a
bit thick.  Didn't seem to hurt the final fermentation that much, though I
bet I left some unconverted starches in there.

Thanks,
Chris