[Syrupmakers] Syrupmakers Digest, Vol 44, Issue 9

ROB sbgfarms at excite.com
Sun Oct 14 14:22:05 CDT 2018

I have used baking soda, and fresh cows milk to help separate the skimmings from the juice.  I usually let the cane sit 5 days after cutting, this seems to reduce skimmings dramatically, then I settle the juice overnight which takes out a lot as well, then when  cooking, if the skimmings do not come up like I want them to, a little baking soda gets them to coming up good.  Milk works really well as the syrup is nearing finishing, but has not come as clean of skimmings as you would like.  Milk and Baking Soda mixed works good as well.   Lime would work ever bit as good.  It serves the same purpose as the baking soda.  It is commonly used in sugar production.
R. Wurth