[Syrupmakers] Organic Sweet Sorghum Sugarcane Aphid Battle

Forrest Moore forrest at vommoorehaus.com
Fri Aug 4 08:27:35 CDT 2017

Scott,

The below is part of a response from last year.  I have SCA's this year
(2017) as well, but this year yellow jackets, lady bugs and various wasp
are going to town on the aphids. If plants are healthy they seem to pull
through it. I have yet to see SCA's in my Sugarcane. I hope this is helpful.

  Last year (2015)  I grew three varieties of Sorghum ( Rox Orange,
Mennonite and Black Amber) that all became infested with Sugar Cane Aphids.
Having never experienced SCA's I contacted my county Mr. Kimball (Green
Acres reference) He told me that it was a problem throughout the Southeast
and that the government was giving an emergency release to use certain
banned insecticides and if I would like, he would help me with the process.
I said "thanks, but no thanks" to the banned insecticides and informed him
that I would just deal with the SCA's. I was prepared to plow it all under
but instead let nature run its course. Results: The Black Amber quickly
succumbed to the SCA's but the Rox Orange and Mennonite survived and I was
actually able to make syrup albeit reduced quantity.

This year (2016) there were no SCA's but there will be no Sorghum syrup
here in West central Georgia due to drought.

Forrest

Forrest

--
Forrest Moore