[Syrupmakers] Organic Sweet Sorghum Sugarcane Aphid Battle

Kevin Harbin kharbin at nctv.com
Fri Aug 4 05:38:02 CDT 2017

I talked to the research scientist at the state research station yesterday
about this.  South Carolina did not obtain a section 18 for Sweet Sorghum
this year.  Apparently the EPA has decided that sweet sorghum is different
from grain sorghum, so legally I cannot spray Sivanto on my M-81.  Plants
are knee high and covered already in the pesky little things.  We discussed
organic treatments, and he said they had not had any success at all with
oils or soaps they had tried.  Unless I go rogue, looks like I'll lose my
whole stand this year.  I think he said around 5 states got their 18 for
spraying sweet sorghum, Kentucky I know being one.

Kevin