[Syrupmakers] Sugar Cane Aphid

Scott scott at eldercomputersolutions.com
Sun Oct 2 09:28:44 CDT 2016

I grow sweet sorghum cane in East Tennessee. This year I had a run in with sugar cane aphids. I grow organically so only spray I could use was neem oil. They hit first week of August. Last year I did not have any but i grew only 1 variety.  This year I grew 3 varieties.

Questions I have for those with experience
1 - some varieties appeared to attract more than other varieties. Has anyone else had this?

2 - I planted early so crop would be more mature when they came through but I think I should plant later so sugar very low when they come through. Opinions?

3 - is it better to spray do a preventive spraying before they show up?

Thanks for any advice and knowledge about this critter.

Scott

Sent from my iPhone