[Syrupmakers] Thinning out of sugar cane?

Richard Hash richard.hash at gmail.com
Fri May 13 15:05:39 CDT 2016

I'm using it for syrup, and have been pretty happy with it. My mature canes
are usually 1 1/8" to 1 1/2" (1.5" would be the biggest I've seen it). I'm
not sure what "big" would be for sugar cane, but 1.25" is plenty big enough
for me. I was getting one gallon of juice from a little over six stalks
last year, and I don't irrigate, but again, I don't know what is considered
good or bad there..

Here is a photo of an average sized cane for me -
https://goo.gl/photos/uJQc1qD8FYcPhTTn6

I also realized I mistakenly duplicated the original set of photo links
instead of providing two unique ones, so let me try again:
Here is a photo of the current clump from what was a single stalk 5 years
ago - see https://goo.gl/photos/Ysg4QneD838QRUv58
 And here is this years growth from just two stalks from last year only -
see https://goo.gl/photos/nEpBCQHVbxfSxpQg8

I keep thinking it will crowd itself out and start producing smaller
stalks, but it hasn't yet. But eventually?? Seems like it has to...(???)

<https://goo.gl/photos/nEpBCQHVbxfSxpQg8>

--/Richard