[Syrupmakers] cane mill

tom clayton weraisecane at yahoo.com
Sat Jul 12 22:23:06 CDT 2014

Mr. House, I have the very same mill. I have no guess on the color but would also like to know. As far as the bearings, that is a very old design, I'll eyeball my mill tomorrow after Church and get back with you. The Victor mill was way ahead of other mills, in my opinion, in design. It had no guide knife, was very heavy and well made, slanted stave bolts, and the bearings top and bottom were open like the old mills from the pre 1850's style that allowed the juice to flow through the bearings and keep the shafts lubricated.  The pre 50's style had no juice discharge spout but had several holes cast into the bottom plate along with the 3 open bearings. They also had open gears on top of the mill with deep grooves cast into them with holes that led to the shafts. I was taught to keep the grooves on the top of the gears lubricated with juice to allow it to leech through to keep the top bearing lubricated.
I have a Clark mill that i think was the predecessor of the Blymyer Victor. Its gears are open to the outside of the mill but the rest of the design is the same. All of the Clark mills I have seen have what looks like a HEART cast either sideways or upside down.  Hope this helps some.
Glad you saved the Victor from the scrap yard. Tommy