[Syrupmakers] Diatomaceous Earth?

ieck at ckt.net ieck at ckt.net
Sun Oct 14 18:49:20 CDT 2018

Paul,
 In  regard to production loss from bacteria, there are a number of
factors which need to be considered. Does the cane already have red rot
problems? Does the cane have multiple cracks or is freeze damage present?
 Just remember that anytime a stalk’s rind is breached, that is an entry
point for bacteria.  Bacteria loves carbohydrates.
 It was our experience, back in the 70s, that healthy cane could be stored
7 to 10 days with little problems.  I would not recommend storing in to
tight a stack or in a high moisture environment.

 A moderate amount of bacteria actually lowers the pH which normally
results in a lighter syrup.

 We used a rising film evaporator. This was basically a vertical shell and
tube heat exchanger with steam around the outside of the tubes. The juice
was pumped at a specific rate up through the tubes.  This, coupled with
our vacuum cooker, greatly reduced the amount of time the syrup resided
at temperatures above 160°.

 There were also times we would use a centrifuge, toward the end of the
cooking process, to clarify the syrup.

 We had a lot of fun. There are times that I almost wish we were back
make’n sorghum again.

Ivan

 Hi Ivan,