[Syrupmakers] Chattanooga Cane Mills

Dave Hubbard rx4MD at hotmail.com
Sun Nov 26 16:05:31 CST 2017

I am new to Cane mills and recently purchased a Chattanooga #72 Power Cane Mill.   After doing some research on this mill, I have a few questions that are unanswered at this time before I start to restore this mill.   The first question is what is the difference between the the Chattanooga #71 and #72 Cane Mill?   Second after reviewing factory photos and looking at my mill, I strongly suspect my mill had a bagasse carrier at one time due to a second pulley off the flywheel?   Are the any mills with an original bagasse carriers that I could use as a pattern to build a new once since mine is missing this part?   Also, any ideas how long this mill was built?   I was able to find this mill in a sales catalog in 1919 and also a parts catalog in 1926 so I know it was built during that time frame.   The other question that I have was after reviewing factory decisions as concerning to paint codes and having a sample of paint color sample, I am confident I will be able to match the Harvest Red and Black that was called for by the factory.  What I haven't been able to figure out is what color is the lettering was on the mill and bagasse carrier since this was lighter than the factory photos which were black and white.   Also, has anyone uses food grade paint when painting the machine or haven't you noticed much paint being lost when using mill.   Once we get the mill restored I am sure I will have plenty of questions about growing and making sorghum.     Thanks so much for you time and help answering these questions.

Dave