[Syrupmakers] New grower - variety recommendations/seeds?

Paul Lefebvre paullefebvre at hotmail.com
Thu Apr 13 13:09:45 CDT 2017

Hi all!

My name is Paul Lefebvre and I live in BC Canada.  I’m extremely new to growing sweet sorghum – last year was my first attempt.  There is essentially no one growing sweet sorghum in Canada – I had to get my seeds from the US.  I could find no documentation or mention of it growing in Canada, though I do think they grow Milo in the praries.  Nevertheless, I planted a small test patch in May and got a decent harvest by mid October.  Out of the 6 varieties I tried (Dale, Keller, Waconia, Mennonite, Sugar Drip and Black Amber), Keller, Waconia and Black Amber matured enough to produce viable seed and decent syrup.

I was hoping to get more advice on which varieties to plant that mature fairly early, since I have a limited growing season as compared to most growing SS.  And if anyone is willing to share a few seeds, I’d be very very grateful!

Thanks,

Paul