[Syrupmakers] gelled sugarcane juice?

Glenn Johnson gjohn46 at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 18 19:01:05 CST 2014

Got the cane cut and under a shed wraped up before the temp bottoms out tonite at low 20s. hope it will be ok and ready to grind and make syrup.

     On Monday, November 17, 2014 9:54 AM, chris jude <vegbenz300 at gmail.com> wrote:

 Thanks,

I'm with Fair Game Beverage in Pittsboro, NC.  We do rum, sorghum cane spirit and apple brandy.  I've been making sorghum syrup for years, but this was my first try fermenting fresh sugarcane juice.  I did dose it with some Amylase, and heated up about 1/3 of it to 150 degrees, which helped get it fermenting and thinned it a little, but the whole juice was still a bit thick.  Didn't seem to hurt the final fermentation that much, though I bet I left some unconverted starches in there.

Thanks,
Chris