[Syrupmakers] Steam Kettle Conversion

sgardipee sgardipee at hot.rr.com
Wed Dec 17 19:07:39 CST 2014

Recently I purchased a 150 gallon Pfaudler, open top, Steam Kettle.
It looks like my cast iron syrup kettle except it is stainless steel and is jacketed.
I want to try and use a remote, propane heated, thermal fluid heater.  My plan is to
circulate the hot oil instead of circulating steam.  All components except a hot
oil circulating pump will be home made. Has anyone done anything like this?
Any information about how to do this modification will be appreciated. The kettle
will be used to make sorghum syrup using the batch method.