[Syrupmakers] Laquite (sp?)

sam mcbroom sjmcbroom1 at hotmail.com
Mon Nov 11 10:00:10 CST 2013

This is an interesting post, Tracy. Thanks, I enjoy the information.

Sam McBroom, DeFuniak Springs, Fla.

From: tbaudoin at cisco.com
To: syrupmakers at syrupmakers.net
Date: Mon, 11 Nov 2013 15:53:25 +0000
Subject: [Syrupmakers] Laquite (sp?)

I accidentally overcooked a batch of syrup last week.  I typically stop the fire around 35 Baume’, but I was distracted by my day job and cooked it to 38 Baume (reads 43 Baume’ at room temp).  Since I use a settling tank, I decided to leave
 it in there for a few extra days and sure enough, it started to sugar.  I contacted the local sugarmill and they offered to experiment with a pint to determine what it would take to invert the sugars without using invertase (I find invertase changes the flavor
 too much for my taste.)

Anyway, they got back with me this morning.  I sampled the syrup, original syrup vs. amended syrup and the only difference I could taste was the amended syrup seemed more smooth (or slightly less of a molasses taste).  So, to save this
 batch, I plan to try to do the same thing the sugarmill’s lab did, but to the whole batch (~14 gallons).  I should also note that this batch is so thick, it is almost to the point of Laquite (sp?), which I’m told you had to cut with scissors or a knife to
 get it out the jar.

Lab’s determination (added to a pint of 43 Baume’ syrup) :
9ml N/2 HCL (SA50-1 from Fisher Scientific) (Used alone, inverts the sugars, but makes the syrup abnormally acidic and ‘red’ in color)
3ml N/2 NAOH (SS270-1 from Fisher Scientific) (brings acidity back down and normalizes the color)

-
Heat syrup to at least 150F
-
Add HCL (heat and stir for 1 hr)
-
Add Sodium Hydroxide while stirring and turn heat off)

Now, saying all this, I know there are folks out there that don’t like adding anything to their syrup, and frankly, I’m one of them!  Lemon juice could be used in place of the HCL too, but I don’t know the correct ratios and variability
 of fresh lemons to make that a one-time situation.  This is just a test to try to recover from an accidental overcooking….and who knows, it might be a way to get to Laquite as well.

Tracy Baudoin
Houma, LA

Tracy Baudoin

PROJECT MGR.CROSS FUNCTIONAL

Cisco Services

tbaudoin at cisco.com

Phone: +1 504 846 2707

Mobile: +1 985 209 3420

Fax: +1 504 910 7831

Cisco.com

Think before you print.

This email may contain confidential and privileged material for the sole use of the intended recipient.
 Any review, use, distribution or disclosure by others is strictly prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient (or authorized to receive for the recipient), please contact the sender by reply email and delete all copies of this message.
For corporate legal information go to: